The European Commission and the Fundació Mies van der Rohe announced the list of 356 works competing for the 2017 EU Mies Award for Contemporary Architecture. The Award has been co-organised by the Fundació Mies van der Rohe and the European Commission since 2001. The Prize is awarded biennially to works completed within the previous two years.
The principal objectives are to achieve a thorough understanding of the transformation of Europe’s built environment; to recognize and commend excellence and innovation in the field of architecture (in conceptual and construction terms) and to draw attention to the important contribution of European professionals in the development of new ideas, the clients who support them and the citizens that enjoy them.
Housing and buildings for Cultural programmes continue being the most representative works. They are followed by education buildings which have increased their presence significantly. The number of mixed used works connected to cultural and social programmes such as a Library with an Auditorium or a City Hall with a Civic Centre have also increased and form the fourth most important group of works.
“The nominated works are stimulating, innovative and have improved the existing conditions of their sites. They push boundaries and have set new standards based on strong collaborative and participatory strategies.” Ivan Blasi, Coordinator of the Prize
Among all 356 nominated projects, 17 are built in Italy.
- Fondaco dei Tedeschi | O.M.A. | Venice
- Pizzolato Winery | MADE associati _ architettura e paesaggio | Treviso
- Reale Group New Office Building | Iotti + Pavarani Architetti, Artecna srl , ArchiLabs | Turin
- Vgramsci building | Giovanni Vaccarini architects | Giulianova
- Protiro in Caltagirone | NOWA (NavarraOfficeWalkingArchitecture) | Caltagirone
- Fondazione Prada | O.M.A. | Milano
- New BNL-BNP Paribas Real Estate Group | 5+1AA Alfonso Femia Gianluca Peluffo srl | Rome
- Opificio Golinelli – Citadel for Knowledge | Diverserighestudio | Bologna
- ECO BAR reuse of the former ticket office | Giuseppe Gurrieri Architetto | Ragusa
- Green Arena | Stradivarie Architetti Associati | Cavallino Treporti
- Polish Pavilion Expo 2015 Milano | 2pm | Milan
- House of Memory | Baukuh | Milano
- Wigglyhouse – single family home | ifdesign | Como
- Alps Villa | Camillo Botticini Architect | Brescia
- Nursery in Guastalla | Mario Cucinella Architects | Guastalla
- City of Sun | Labics | Rome
- Casa Gianin | Clinicaurbana | Coi
“Nearly all works are constructed in an existing built environment and testify that a key challenge for contemporary architecture is the consciousness of its urban environment and a constant dialogue with cultural heritage.” Michel Magnier, Director for Culture and Creativity, DG Education and Culture of the EC
The Jury members will shortlist 40 projects and select the 5 finalist works which they will visit in April.
The process will culminate with the 2017 EU Mies Award Ceremony on May 26 at the Mies van der Rohe Pavilion, marking several days of Open Doors throughout Europe during which sites of the shortlisted works will be open for visit to the general public.
To find out more about the 2017 EU Mies Award: